1st Bridge 1747-1778 - Wooden Old Walton Bridge, designed by William Etheridge completed in August 1750 and acquired some fame, meriting an article in the Gentleman's Magazine, a report in Daniel Defoe's Tour in 1753 and a painting by Canaletto in 1754. The painting, which shows the rococo-style of this bridge, is in Dulwich Picture Gallery.
2nd Bridge 1788-1859 - Designed by James Paine, opened in 1788. This bridge inspired three paintings by Turner in 1805 most of these works are kept by the Tate Gallery. The bridge lasted much longer than its predecessor, but part of it collapsed in 1859. A ferry crossing was briefly revived until the completion of the third bridge in 1864.
3rd Bridge 1863-1985 - an iron girder lattice bridge on stone piers. Damaged in 1940 during the Second World War leading to a permanent weight restriction. It was relegated to cyclists and pedestrians when the fourth bridge was constructed. Described in 1953 as "an ungracious structure of iron lattice girders". Finally demolished in 1985.
4th Bridge 1953-2013 - constructed in 1953 on the downstream side of the old bridge, using a construction designed by A.M. Hamilton in 1930 and is called a Callender-Hamilton bridge. The fourth bridge was retained for use by cyclists and pedestrians when the fifth bridge was completed in 1999.
5th Bridge - 1999-2013 - While the fourth bridge remained standing for use by pedestrians and cyclists, another temporary structure, the fifth bridge, on the site of the original bridges, was opened for vehicular traffic.
6th Bridge - 2013...The current and sixth bridge was opened on 22 July 2013.